Standard 8: Accomplished Teaching & Capstone

Standard 8

Standard 8 states teacher leaders “present the professional practice for the review of colleagues”. To me, this standard represents the spirit of not only what it means to work in a healthy teaching environment but what this Masters program is all about.  Having the courage to place yourself in the spotlight for others to critique and evaluate is a key component in both of these arenas.  For the success in this program we had to constantly put our ideas out for others to assess.  Likewise in a school setting, we are always sharing our thoughts, strategies, and teaching with others.  It might seem difficult and vulnerable, but the act of presenting professional practice for review is how all parties involved become stronger educators. 

Reflection:
            My previously held beliefs in relation to this standard were mixed.  On one hand, I loved the idea of sharing my teaching to others.  It is fun to show non music teachers what goes on inside our classrooms. Other subject area teachers seem to be amazed at what happens in a typical elementary music classroom.  Similarly I enjoy the discourse between peers when I am on the “giving” end.  In other words, I like giving feedback to other teachers as they present their professional practice.  However I did not enjoy receiving feedback from non music teachers about my practice as most of the suggestions were not helpful.  Prior to this standard and program I had built a wall around myself in relation to receiving feedback from others.  “Teachers don’t understand music” and “Mt class is simply different than yours” were constant thoughts.   Upon reflection, I have come to the conclusion on a couple takeaways from this program on how to to best present professional practice and receive feedback from my peers.
            In the Accomplished Teaching course, I learned the importance of reflection on teaching.  I have spoken about this in many reflections, but I have learned how important this practice is to me.  As summarized by Nalliveettil George Mathew (2012), “Reflecting critical incidents can lead to solutions that can be transferable to other learning situations. Success in teaching is not just a matter of luck but results from thorough planning, preparation and knowing the learners through reflection, evaluation and practice” (p. 209).  In relation to this standard, I now see the possibilities of working together with peers in a group reflection practice.  When working with others there are opportunities for various viewpoints and opinions to be expressed.  As mentioned by Carol A. Corcoran and Robert Leahy (2003), "Teaching is an active process based on a professional examining his or her own actions and the possible links to specific actions of learners".  The important idea in this definition is reflection is an active process, meaning it is constantly ongoing.  Now in relation to this standard, the active component can refer to the active dialogue between peers. Working together and review professional practice as a cohort has the potential to be more impactful than doing so as an individual.
During this capstone course, similar to assignments throughout the program, we are constantly posting our thoughts and practice for others to review. I have come to learn that this process of sharing and engaging in discussion allows for each of us to empower one another. As Leslie Ashcroft states, the act of empowerment helps to “nurture belief in capability and competence” (p. 145).  Empowerment is another topic in which I have spoked to many times throughout this course.  I am realizing this idea, like reflection, is deeply important to me as a teacher leader.  When we empower each other mobilize untapped potential and lift each other up.  This standard is a wonderful vehicle to practice the important act of empowerment.  Now, unlike my previous beliefs, I view the comments from my peers in a more universal way.  My peers are simply trying to empowering me and help build my capability and confidence.  It does not matter that my class is “different”, whatever that might mean.  In the end, we are all looking out for each other and want what is best for us all.  By empowering others through discussions and feedback we are all taking steps toward becoming better educators and leaders.
            Moving forward I will continue to not only reflect on my work, but allow others into the discussion and process.  By working together we have the potential to turn over stones, not seen before by myself. Another byproduct of this process is the building of rapport and trust between colleagues.  Likewise we will empower each other in our abilities as teachers. Lastly, I will continue to absorb the feedback from my colleagues.  The wall of “I’m different” has been broken down and I am able to accept feedback from non music teachers.  I will listen to what others have to say and apply principles and kernels of truth from their thoughts.  This standard and program as a whole has impacted not only my teaching but qualities as a person.  It is with these new additions to my character that I will be able to form strong bonds with my colleagues, students, parents, and staff.  From here I will be able to firmly say I am a leader within my school and community

Artifacts:
Models of Collaboration Reflection

                                               
Sources:
                                                           
Ashcroft L. Defusing “empowering”: The what and the why. Language Arts. 1987;64(2):142-156                                                                                                        
Mathew, N. (2012). Reflective classroom practice for effective classroom instruction. International Education Studies, 5(3), 205-211. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ies.v5n3p205
Corcoran, C., & Leahy, R. (2003). Growing professionally through reflective practice. Kappa Delta Pi Record, 30-33.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EDTC 6433 Module 4 Resolution

EDTC 6433 Module 5 Resolution