EDTC 6433 Module 2 Resolution

Question: How can I design and evaluate creative learning experiences and assessments or 4th grade's composition unit?            

           Composition in the music classroom is a wonderful opportunity to incorporate technology.  However, as elementary music classrooms focus on student centered music making, technology can slow things down, sometimes to a halt.  Issues arise, apps fail, and quite frankly most technology doesn’t allow for students to engage in authentic compositional experiences.    
            When looking for resources and articles I stumbled across a music educator's blog listing many different apps for the music classroom, most focusing on composition.  I then thought about how I want my students to interact with these applications.  Most do not require much musical thought and are mere games for the students to play.  That is not what I want in my classroom.  In Amy Burn’s (2016) blog she mentions an app called Noteflight, something that resembles true composing practices. However after some thinking I realized the multitude of things I would have to teach just so the students can interact with the program effectively.  The old school way of paper and pencil might be a better route for composition in the 4th grade classroom. 
            ISTE 2 focuses on designing and implementing authentic learning experiences and assessments.  After reflecting on my question and the new thoughts regarding technology’s effectiveness and ease of use, I came to the conclusion that maybe technology and composition aren’t a good fit.  I do not feel that a majority of the apps and programs designed for composition provide an authentic music creation experience.  Most programs are masked as games for students, and I am looking for a compositional experience that provides more than that.  In addition I feel that in order to assess their ability and skills, most apps do not test prior knowledge, as they are “drag and drop” style of composition.  If I chose the other route of Noteflight, a program a professional would use, I would be bogged down in teaching the program basics.  Similarly the students would most likely become frustrated with the steep learning curve.
            One middle ground option that I might explore is the interactive whiteboard.  My classroom has a smart board with some options that could possibly be used as compositional tools.  The positive of this option is that it is essentially a form of digital pencil a paper, the method I feel is most effective at the moment.  The negative is that there is only one whiteboard per class.  As mention in the article “Deepening Connections”, a PBS and Grunwald Associates (2010) study, “93 percent of teachers who use this technology say it helps them to be more effective, 91 percent say it helps them to be more creative” (p. 8).
            Going forward I think I’ll stick to the original method of pencil and paper, while maybe exploring my interactive whiteboard.  ISTE 2 focuses on authentic experiences and assessments and I do not feel the current technological applications allow for this.  With pencil and paper I can assess student abilities and provide a true compositional experience, without the burden of a difficult to master program, or the not effective apps and games.

Noteflight’s website, if anyone is interested in seeing the complicated nature of this program:  https://www.noteflight.com/

References:

A Burns. (2016, April 24). 12 Student-Approved Tech Tools for the Elementary Music Classroom: Part 1 (#1-6).                              Retreived from
              http://mustech.net/2016/04/10-elementary-student-approved-tech-tools-music-classroom/
  

Vokley, & Lang, (2010).  Deepening connections: Teachers increasingly rely on media and technology.  PBS, 1-12.

Comments

  1. Bryan,

    This is an interesting read on your daily reality of what it is like to assess music through technology vs. non-technology resources. I like that you explained your next steps, but took the time to find resources for you, if you need or choose to use them down the road. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDTC 6433 Module 4 Resolution

Standard 8: Accomplished Teaching & Capstone

Standard 5: Culturally Responsive Teaching