Standard 2: Accomplished Teaching & Action Research

Standard 2 states teacher leaders analyze learning to promote student growth.  This standard, in my opinion, is a core standard of the Teacher Leadership program.  It is highly important this standard is fully understood and applied in the classroom. When I reflect on this standard I realize it is bigger than it appears, as there are multiple aspects involved.  In my opinion, this standard is centered around two central tenets of teaching, both needed for teachers to properly analyze student learning.  These two tenets are 2) data collection, and 3) the teacher’s personal reflection.  When these ideas work together in harmony, teachers can truly analyze student learning in hopes of promoting growth. For this standard, I engaged in two classes: Accomplished Teaching and Action Research.  Both of these classes sharpened my skills and shed light on what it takes to analyze student learning in the classroom.

Reflection: 
Previously my analysis of student learning was in “broad strokes”, meaning I would reflect on student learning in a whole class method.  After an activity I would summarize how most students did, picking out the higher achieving and lower achieving students.  However, because no true analysis procedures were set up a large amount of students did not receive much attention. Likewise, in previous settings I would immediately jump to analyzing the student’s performance without assessing my own teaching.      
The action research project was an opportunity to deepen my experience in analyzing student learning to promote growth. As I mentioned before, one of the important pillars needed for analyzing learning is data collection.  Victoria Bernhardt (N.D) in an interview for a presentation entitled “Using Data to Improve Schools” stated:

“I think data can help us see things we might not see otherwise. We might have processes or programs in operation for years. Once we look at the data from all angles, we might find that a program is not helping all students learn. Data help us get to the root causes of a problem so we solve the problem and not just the symptom”.

Similarly, as mentioned by Joyce Shanks, Lauren Miller, Susannah Rosendale (2012):

“The data collection process fosters gathering concrete data, possibilities in analyzing data, and reflecting on how to improve teaching practices by implementing changes based on the data.” (p.31).
 
This project refined my skills in collecting data quickly, but correctly.  For this project I looked to improve the 2nd grade students’ ability to use a head voice when singing.  I focused on two “vocal exploration” exercises and collected data on the students’ ability.  For the data collection process I implemented two different tools. One was a board (see below) in which students could show their beliefs in their ability after each lesson on a scale of 1(lots of work needed), 2(a little work needed) or 3(I got it!).  The second tool was audio recordings in which I could go back, listen, and make remarks.  I used these tools because they were quick and low maintenance.  Likewise, I felt it was important to compare the students’ beliefs in their ability with my standards.  This comparison was crucial for development of learning, because I could make decisions based on the alignment or lack of alignment in beliefs. After the data was collected I had the necessary information needed to make correct decisions regarding the students and their needs.  The data put me on the right path for analyzing student learning to promote growth.  As stated by Katherine O Connor et al. (2006), in a study related to the action research process, “teachers consistently commented that the action research process made them more aware of their teaching practices and more cognizant of their students’ needs” (p. 10).  I felt this same effect during my experience.  By engaging in the action research process I became more aware of my teaching as well as the needs of my students.  Inherent to the process is data collection, the main precursor needed in analyzing student learning and needs.  If the data collection process is not in place there is no roadmap for the teacher to use in guiding the students towards progress and growth. 
The Accomplished Teaching course spent a good deal of time focusing on the analysis of teaching via video.  Multiple assignments and learning tasks asked me to watch a teacher, sometimes myself, and provide insight into what was occurring in the classroom and thoughts pertaining to student learning.  I learned from this course the power of video reflection.  Niels Brouwer (2015) states numerous benefits of video reflection in the classroom. “Because of its vividness, video can focus teachers’ attention on the complex interactions between the content of learning, their learners’ (re)actions and their own” (p. 139). When teachers utilize this tool we step out of our own way and observe the teaching from a detached viewpoint.  It is then from this viewpoint in which more logical, less emotional decisions are made.  Most importantly, in order to analyze student learning it is vital we take note of our performance in delivering the instruction. If a student is struggling to grasp a concept, the teacher is someone who needs to be addressed as well, not only the student.  
In future I plan on continuing with action research and video reflection.  Similarly, one of focus points will be the data collection process.  Moving forward I will define what data collection methods I will use at each grade level.  Likewise, I will define specific methods of data collection for each domain of music education. With this in place I will set myself up for making better decisions that support the growth of all learners.  I will also continue to utilize video reflection as a tool for analyzing my own teaching.  I have noticed many teachers in my building mention they do not have the time for this activity.  As mentioned by Elizabeth L. Jaeger (2013), “once teachers leave the structured experience of student teaching,they may be less motivated to continue reflective activities, overwhelmed as they typically are by the day-to-day demands on their time” (p. 97).  We must make the time for this important process to occur. As stated before, reflecting and critiquing my own teaching will in turn allow opportunities to reflect on student learning.  I plan to deliberately take the time to reflect.  Proper reflection is not an optional assignment in my day as it is something I must do.  With this sense of urgency I will effectively critique my teaching, in turn allowing for better decisions to be made.  These decisions will promote student learning and achievement.  
           
Artifacts:
            

Action Research final reflection:

Sources:

Bernhardt, V. (N.D). Using Data to Improve Schools. Retrieved from http://aasa.org/uploadedFiles/Policy_and_Advocacy/files/UsingDataToImproveSchools.pdf

Brouwer, Niels. (2016). Video-based reflection on teaching: What makes it effective?. Orbis Scholae, 9, 139-144. 10.14712/23363177.2015.84.

Jaeger, E. (2013). Teacher reflection: Supports, barriers, and results. Issues in Teacher Education, 22(1). Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1014037.pdf

Miller, L. & Rosendale, S. & Shanks, J. (2012). Action research in a professional development school setting to support teacher candidate self-efficacy. SRATE journal, 21. Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ990633.pdf

O'Connor, Katherine & Greene, H & Anderson, Patricia. (2006). Action research: A tool for improving teacher quality and classroom practice. Ontario Action Researcher. Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234749663_Action_Research_A_Tool_for_Improving_Teacher_Quality_and_Classroom_Practice



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EDTC 6433 Module 4 Resolution

Standard 8: Accomplished Teaching & Capstone

Standard 5: Culturally Responsive Teaching